Independence Day is commonly received with fireworks and parties, celebrating America's history, government and traditions. Read on to see inspiration quotes for today's holiday, and where to see the fireworks, where to party, or where to zen out.
The History of the 4th of July
Independence Day, referred to as the 4th of July, is a federal holiday. It honors the day America adopted the Declaration of Independence, on July 4, 1776. That's 241 years ago! When the Continental Congress declared the thirteen American colonies independent of the British Empire, and regarded them as the United States of America. Yay! So happy to be an America!
Three Inspirational Quotes on the 4th of July
Although I do find myself complaining about America's imperfection, sometimes. At the end of the day, I remember how good we have it here. The amount of opportunity we are presented with everyday, and the unlimited access to food and water that we see in our country. In honor of this great nation, I picked out a few inspirational quotes that dropped me into gratitude.
- May we think of freedom as the opportunity to do what is right. ~Peter Marshall
- Use your freedom to serve one another in love. ~Galatians 5:13
- That which really unites us is the idea that you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That is doesn't matter where you came from, but where you are going. ~Condoleezza Rice
Where to Celebrate the 4th in Sarasota
So if you want to party tonight or go see the fireworks, below are the two best spots in Sarasota.
- Bayfront Park Viewing: The 4th of July bring the spectacular fireworks over Sarasota Bay. Viewing is free from anywhere downtown including Bayfront Park, a scenic park near Ringling Bridge. Drinks and food are available on the park at O'LEary's Tiki Bar and Marina Jacks. The Suncoast Offshore Festival with fireworks start around 9pm.
- Selby Garden: If you are looking yo do something during the day, enjoy the All America Barbecue Independence Day Celebration at Selby Gardens located at 8111 South Palm Avenue, Sarasota, FL 34236. Cusisine from Michael's on the East will be provided, with live music from SoulRCoaster. The fireworks from the Suncoast Offshore Festival can be viewed from the Garden. Call 941.366.5731 for ticket purchase info.
Where to Yoga on the 4th
If you are looking for quiet time to self-reflect and stretch on this important holiday, we picked Payne Park. Look for the shade under a tree, and bring a blanket. It's the perfect spot for a quiet meditation and restorative yoga session. Sometimes the kids play the drums and the xylophones, and it's really beautiful. The birds sing in the background, and the wind blows in your face. It's incredibly serene. Payne Park is located at 2050 Adams Ln, Sarasota, FL 34237.